[ISSHO] Peru sterilizations

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Fri Jul 26 10:23:08 PDT 2002

Socdems Gunnar and Alva Myrdal were big proponents of sterilization. http://www.libertyhaven.com/countriesandregions/sweden/swedenmodel.html

Christian Rightist, Allan Carlson had an article on this in Irving L. Horowitz edited journal, "Society, a few yrs. ago. http://www.fww.org/articles/wfpforum/acarlson.htm
>..."In 1934, Alva and Gunnar Myrdal jointly authored Kris i Befolkningsfrågan (Crisis in the
Population Question). Under the pretext of a campaign to raise Sweden's birthrate, the book advanced an agenda for a new form of social life. The existing family system, they argued, "is almost ... pathological," "rootless," "isolated," and doomed to "disintegration and sterility." It must be replaced by a new social model, where women would stand by men "as comrades" in productive wage labor, where children would become a social or state responsibility, and where antique notions surrounding "private life" and "home" would give way to state-guided social planning and cooperation. Other components of this vision were a liberalization of the restrictive Swedish abortion law, readily available contraception, sex education as part of the regular school curriculum, population targets and controls as a state responsibility, and elimination of legal and social distinctions between married and unmarried adults. Alva Myrdal also argued that these goals required the conscious dismantling of remaining traditional homes, through law and policy, and even coercive efforts "to eliminate" women's roles that were incompatible with her vision.

This book, Crisis in the Population Question had a profound influence on Swedish attitudes and public policy. The Myrdals became important public figures at this time, and their own marriage won wide praise as the model for the future. The Myrdals' direct influence spread as well to Norway and Denmark, where they inspired "Population Commissions" that reordered those nations in line with their theories.

A decade later, however, husband Gunnar grew absorbed in his new tasks for the United Nations. Alva Myrdal saw her own new style marriage falling apart, complaining bitterly that the "ECE became everything for Gunnar, the family and I nothing." According to the testimony of her daughter, Sissela Myrdal Bok, their "full-fledged companionship" as spouses and as partners-in-work "had now been abandoned." Alva's marital role "had become nothing but a mask," and the Myrdal home grew "alien, empty, [and] devoid of love."...

I e-mailed his Maoist fan of Pol Pot and Enver Hoxha son, Jan http://www.libertyhaven.com/theoreticalorphilosophicalissues/libertarianism/albania.html , about this last yr. He answered my replies about Albania earlier, but, not that one! Broberg, G. og N. Roll-Hansen: Eugenics and the welfare state, Michigan 1984, 'Norwegian eugenics', s. 151-195 og 'Conclusion: Scandinavian eugenics in the international context', s. 259-273 (58 s.) Michael Pugliese