Tanzim intended to stop terrorism

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 26 12:11:02 PDT 2002

>From: Brad DeLong <delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU>
>
>>>Since it hasn't been mentioned, I received the ff. by the Podhoretz
>>>twerp. So how is it playing in the US, at least in NYC? How many papers
>>>carry Podhoretz jr?
>>
>>Poddy the Younger is an in-house raver at the NY Post; I don't know if any
>>other papers pick him up. The Post is at the extreme of mainstream
>>pro-Zionist sentiment; their headline on the Gaza attack was "BULL'S-EYE"
>><http://www.nypost.com/seven/seven.htm>. The NY Times, hardly the
>>Palestinians' best friend, has been more ambivalent in its coverage. Most
>>people I know were horrified, but says more about the people I hang out
>>with. I think most Americans don't care much, but maybe I'm wrong.
>>
>>Doug
>
>No. I think most Americans are horrified. But they have no clue what can be
>done to make the situation better...
>
>Brad DeLong

I would suggest heeding Doug's wise advice, offered in a different context on the list a short time ago: "Given the state of things right now, it's more imperative than ever that people on 'our' side not be naive, obfuscating, sentimental, or stupid." In this instance, I think such a stance requires calling for an end to all U.S. financial and military support of Israel immediately.

Carl