Bankruptcy Bill - stalled for the moment

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jul 27 08:12:31 PDT 2002

Gar Lipow wrote:

>July 27 -- WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A bankruptcy bill before the U.S.
>House of Representatives that would make it harder for individuals
>to walk away from their debts ran aground over an abortion
>related-provision early on Saturday, congressional aides said. The
>bill will now have to wait until after Congress returns from its
>summer recess, they added....

Wow. This is great news. Fascinating that the Reps will yield to their loony fundie base in the face of pressure from capital, but the Dems will screw their base under the same pressure.

Where have the unions been on this? Why don't they have thousands of people in the streets and lobbying Congress? It'd give them a chance to look like they're defending the whole working class for a change. Are they asleep? Afraid? Worrying about their own affinity credit card assets? I'm constantly getting come-ons for a UAW credit card in an envelope that describes it as a "union benefit." Surely they're not that cynical.

Doug