What are futures, derivates, etc?

Marco Anglesio mpa at the-wire.com
Sun Jul 28 18:27:45 PDT 2002

On Sun, 28 Jul 2002, Doug Henwood wrote:
> >Because you are actually an expert on this stuff. Shortly I probably
> >will be too, or will be starting to learn to be. jks
>
> To be a real derivatives expert, you've got to have an advanced math
> degree. I'm just an amateur.

I'm not sure what an expert means in these terms. To play, as a dilettante, with the mathematics of pricing, a decent command of math is required. To create, test, and run the models, a greater command of mathematics is necessary - the fundamentals of which an undergraduate math major would cover by the end of 3rd year, but to actually approach it as a professional you need advanced study (or math-related experience) in a quantitative field.

However, if an expert is someone who understands the principles on which derivatives are created, their nature, and their impact on markets, then you're as close as I know to an expert, Doug.

Personally, I prefer the second definition rather than the first. A mathematician expert in mathematical models doesn't need to be an expert in any field (biostatisticians, for example, are statisticans first and epidemiologists or public health experts second, if at all) because their trade concerns the description and prediction of phenomena, not understanding the nature of phenomena, much less discovering them.

Marco