Microsoft's Big Stick in Peru (Wired)

pms laflame at aaahawk.com
Sun Jul 28 19:25:37 PDT 2002

More on Microsoft: The first item is on Financial Times site and only available with a sub.

A quiet but momentous change is about to rock the world of software. Microsoft is rewriting its licensing policies and users of its software have until close of business on Wednesday to comply with the new terms. They could also end up paying much more as a result. 17:35 | Read

Saturday July 27, 11:24 pm Eastern Time Reuters Company News Malaysia ponders pirated software for schools-paper

KUALA LUMPUR, July 28 (Reuters) - Malaysia may allow the use of pirated computer software for schools and social organisations, Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Minister Muhyiddin Yassin was quoted on Sunday as saying. ADVERTISEMENT

"We are concerned over the rampant sale and use of pirated computer software in the country and will continue to conduct raids to curb it," The Sunday Star quoted Muhyiddin as saying.

"But for educational purposes and to encourage computer usage, we may consider allowing schools and social organisations to use pirated software," he said.

The International Intellectual Property Alliance estimates that U.S. trade losses due to the piracy of movies, music, software and publishing materials in Malaysia last year rose to $316.5 million from $140 million in 2000.

Illegal video compact discs of top Hollywood films typically hit the streets of Kuala Lumpur the week of their U.S. release while illegally made computer software copies are also common.

The Star said Muhyiddin warned that his ministry would soon launch another raid to check the illegal use of pirated software by businesses.

----- Original Message ----- From: jean-christophe helary <suzume at mx82.tiki.ne.jp> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Sunday, July 28, 2002 8:10 PM Subject: Microsoft's Big Stick in Peru (Wired)