Wojtek on Greens.

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Jul 29 08:42:07 PDT 2002

At 11:03 PM 7/28/2002 +0100, james wrote:

>Wojtek is just demotic

All I am saying is that unlike the pope, Marx is not infallible. He is a social scientists, whose views were shaped by the state of science in his times.

>If I can tease out your meaning, you are saying that there is no class
>struggle question left, so the question is how can we de-legitimate
>capitalism. I'm not sure that the question of the distribution of the
>social product is solved, in Western Europe or anywhere else (I guess that
>the real question is more one of control than the availability of
>resources, but let's leave that aside).

I said nothing about class struggle. I meant to say that it would be rather difficult to convince a SUV-driving, suburban home owning blue- or white-collar workers that their standards of living but an illusion and capitalism will leave them with nothing but their rags. OTOH, a critique of the central tenet of capitalist ideology - that of the superior efficiency of a capitalist enterprise - is more than a PR gimmick - it exposes the fundamental falsehood of that ideology.

wojtek