No need to worry....

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Mon Jul 29 14:45:03 PDT 2002

cause the "fundamentals" are sound.....:) The following was put together by Brad Mayer. FYI.

Joanna _________________________________________________________________

And, you can separate the wheat from the chaff simply by looking for the word "fundamental" and its variants in statements issued by the powers that be, which we should know by now is a subconscious effort to make one's statement seem somehow on solid ground. The very presence of the word should raise a red flag. As in contrarian indicator.

A search on Yahoo news on "fundamental" returns, among others (I've tried to prune duplicates):

Bush: Earns Improving, Fundamentals Sound (Reuters) ...But I do believe that the fundamentals for economic growth are real," Bush told reporters during a visit to the Argonne National Laboratory,... - Jul 22 12:32 PM ET

White House Says Economic Fundamentals Strong (Reuters) The White House said on Friday it still believes the fundamentals of the U.S. economy remain strong despite a steep fall in stock prices. - Jul 19 6:27 PM ET

Fed Chief: Economic Fundamentals OK (Reuters) A wave of corporate scandals has failed to weaken the solid foundation of the U.S. economy and will prove to be a tough but temporary setback, Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan said on Wednesday. - Jul 17 5:08 PM ET

President Says Economy Is Sound (AP) Amid a continuing stock market slide, President Bush insisted Monday that the economic fundamentals were sound and predicted action by Congress to make corporations more accountable should help take uncertainty out of the market and alleviate the plunge. - Jul 22 1:46 PM ET

O'Neill Says Economy Remains Sound (Reuters) ..."I'm going to keep working on the fundamentals.... - Jul 28 3:10 PM ET

O'Neill Defends Overseas Assignment (AP) ...I think my job is to work on the fundamentals," O'Neill said on CBS's "Face the Nation.... - Jul 28 10:56 AM ET

<Song: "I've been working the fundamentals.

All the livelong day

Well, I've been working the fundamentals

Just to past the time away..." >

White House: U.S. Economic Fundamentals Sound (Reuters) The U.S. economy is on the way to recovery and its fundamentals are sound, the White House said on Thursday as U.S. stock prices steadied after days of weakness because of worries about corporate honesty. - Jul 11 3:28 PM ET

Evans: Economy Doing 'Surprisingly Well' (Reuters) ...Evans is the latest Bush administration official publicly touting the U.S. economy's fundamentals as part of a push to shore up confidence in President Bush ( news - web sites)'s handling... - Jul 27 7:15 PM ET

Bush Plans Economic Forum in Texas (AP) ..."discuss the fundamentals in the American economy" with the president and top administration members,... - Jul 26 4:39 PM ET

qo - But, but, the fundamentals don't need discussion!!!! They're just FINE (er, "sound")!

O'Neill, Bush Try to Soothe Worried Investors (Reuters) ... our history we have seen times when there is a disconnect between the stock market and the fundamental productive power of our economy," O'Neill told the National Association of Manufactures......."This is such a time but, over time, the market will again focus on the economy's fundamentals," he said.... - Jul 25 5:35 PM ET

Bush Says Ingredients for U.S. Growth Are in Place (Reuters) President Bush said on Wednesday said he believed the fundamentals were in place for "economic vitality and growth" in the United States. - Jul 17 12:35 PM ET

Fed chief expresses guarded optimism (USA TODAY) WASHINGTON -- In anxiously awaited testimony Tuesday, Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan was guardedly optimistic about the U.S. economy, declaring that the ''fundamentals are in place for a return to sustained healthy growth,'' but that ''considerable uncertainties'' still threaten the rebound. - Jul 17 12:15 PM ET

Citigroup Boss: Merit in Options as Costs (Reuters) ... were worries about terrorism and geopolitical instability affecting sentiment, Rubin said fundamentals remained sound.... - Jul 25 6:16 AM ET

J.P. Morgan Says Acted Properly on Enron (Reuters) ... trust in large institutions in corporate America but we are very comfortable with the basic fundamentals of our company starting with our capital position and our liquidity position.... - Jul 24 4:45 PM ET

Gloom Returns as U.S. Banks Spook Markets (Reuters) ..."The market is nothing to do with fundamentals any more....... spokesman of British Prime Minister Tony Blair ( news - web sites) said Blair believed in the fundamental strength of the country's economy which made it "better placed than many other countries" to... - Jul 24 8:08 AM ET

Nasdaq mauled as techs plunge; Dow hurt by financials (CBS MarketWatch) ...It has nothing to do with fundamentals.... - Jul 23 5:41 PM ET

qo