greens-dems-lefties etc

frank scott frank at marin.cc.ca.us
Mon Jul 29 18:02:28 PDT 2002

"the Green Party sucks because it has no power so I won't help build it, ensuring that it will never gain power."

and then, this rejoinder:

"How about this similar formulation: The Democratic party sucks because it's too far rightward so I won't attempt to drag it leftward, ensuring that will never be a party of the left?"

the first comment, criticizing cynical left attitudes, at least has a shorter history to account for...the greens have only been around for a relative blink...the second, re the dems, has been attempted(getting in and working to change), reattempted and produced zero, nothing, nada...

two jesse jackson campaigns roused sectors of this nation that had never been electorally awake before, but progressives were absolutely helpless to do anything to move that party. nor even help create something beyond those campaigns...

I wish the greens luck...with all their/our faults, they are the only potential positive in the electoral arena...at least that might attract the totally fed up and disgusted (wisely!) younger people who are part of the newer movement...

anyway, those here who aren't doing anything for the greens are not likely to do anything for the dems either...

fs