Why India needs transgenic crops

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Jul 29 21:23:28 PDT 2002

>you are right and wrong. The US yields are not particularly high, but the
>US output per worker are VERY high. Also, last I looked the US was a net
>food importer, by $$$. We import the pricey stuff.
>
>On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 10:18:14PM -0400, Doug Henwood wrote:
>> Michael Perelman wrote:
>>
>> >The US model is not particularly productive. It was designed to save
> > >labor; US yields are actually fairly low.

So in what sense is U.S. agriculture not "productive"? A "productive" agriculture in the U.S.--given its relatively low population, the high product of labor outside agriculture, and its enormous endowment of land--would seem to be an agriculture that economized on labor and used its land extensively, thus achieving a high level of output per worker and a not-so-high level of output per acre.

"U.S. agriculture not particularly productive." Sheesh...

Brad DeLong