Bank of Canada - why so austere?

pms laflame at aaahawk.com
Tue Jul 30 08:19:41 PDT 2002

Just a few weeks ago I read how shocked everyone was because the England's Central Bank didn't raise rates even though they've been threatening to do so because they see a danger in a housing bubble.

Question: they say Greenspan wants to keep the system flush with cash but can't Canada's rate hike help attract cash from overseas? If money is flowing into "safe" guv Treasury bonds it seems Canadian bonds would look very attractive. And if that turned out to be the case, wouldn't the flow of cash into C. Treasuries keep interest rates from rising too much? (here I am back to my total non-understanding of how these two forces work on interest rates. sigh) Like Canadian $ will be strengthened by cash flow while US $ will be weakened by cash flow created out of thin air, no? (reading too many goldbug/fiat money articles). I read New Zealand bonds were paying 9%. Why wouldn't everyone be buying NZ bonds I wonder?

----- Original Message ----- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 10:29 AM Subject: Bank of Canada - why so austere?