Why India needs transgenic crops

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Tue Jul 30 09:15:43 PDT 2002

I don't think that sarcasm is a substitute for dialogue. Most countries do not have the land base to allow them to produce the way the US does. Resource endowments are important.

Small island countries, Hong Kong and Singapore, can prosper with virtually no ag., but the LDCs as a whole cannot.

Also, when you talk about industrialized ag. you have to include the labor involved in producing the inputs.

Finally, as Carrol mentioned, if it is not sustainable ....

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu