Intellectuals vs. activism (Re: Halle weighs in

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jul 30 11:48:50 PDT 2002

Nathan Newman wrote:

>I'll be interested in seeing the piece, but where are the intellectuals
>embedded in the movement? Why aren't they there asking those questions in an
>organic way and promoting a discussion on such matters in a manner that
>addresses the needs of those activists?

As you'll see in the piece, we've all tried that, and gotten shot down. One incident in my personal experience. I was on a panel with an activist lawyer who was touting the importance of encouraging small business development in NYC. When I pointed out, as I often do, that small businesses pay less, offer fewer fringe benefits, are more dangerous places to work, and are harder to organize than large businesses, this was dismissed as "the paralysis of analysis." The point, you see, is to do, not to think.

But everyone should run out & buy a copy of Radical Society and read our piece. Do it now!

Doug