Halle weighs in

s-t-t at juno.com s-t-t at juno.com
Tue Jul 30 12:21:49 PDT 2002

"Mark" rickling at softhome.net writes:

> Is this worse than limitting one's activism to participating in
> left-wing email lists? FWIW, it seems to me there are many
> outstanding organizers on this list.

I think the anti-intelletualism Doug's targeting is the put-up-or-shut-up variety, the activist equivalent of "My movement, love it or leave it." This has little to do with activism v. intellectualism, which is a false dichotomy, I think.

In the forming of an organization, the crafting of a purpose, and choice of campaigns, demonstrations, etc. EVERY activist group engages in a form intellectual activity, regardless of whether or not they acknowledge this.

They may not outline their assumptions in a manifesto, but those assumptions are inheret in their actions. It's when these assumptions are drawn into open debate that the charge of intellectualism comes into play.

-- Shane