Intellectuals vs. activism (Re: Halle weighs in

Alec Ramsdell aramsdell at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 30 14:02:08 PDT 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:

> But everyone should run out & buy a copy of Radical
> Society and read
> our piece. Do it now!

That sounds great--C Parenti comes to mind as a model for organic intellectual, with his fluent syntheses of sensitive journalism, statistical analysis, and theory, "post-modern" or otherwise, all into pleasurable to read, jargon-free prose. Even were it to translate poorly into Cyrillic, _Lockdown America_ would still impress.

When I lived in SF I had a few friends that had been involved in functions M Parenti took part in, more taking to the pavement kind of activities/activism. Does Christian do that kind of thing? Is he dividing his time between the New College and the Soros Foundation?

Alec