lbo-talk-digest V1 #6498

Charles Jannuzi b_rieux at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 30 21:50:44 PDT 2002

>>Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 11:40:37 -0700 From:
Michael Perelman <michael at ecst.csuchico.edu> Subject: Re: Why India needs transgenic crops

What I am saying is merely that for a large country with a large agricultural population and relatively little land, it is a mistake to try to go into a process of radical de-agriculturalization; that land/labor ratios are important.

I am snowed under with work, so I will let my end

of this thread drop.<<

Well said. It would be disastrous for land-poor but completely developed Japan, too. For one thing, it would be an ecological disaster, since there are no checks on land use except zoning laws. When the entire country becomes a pachinko parlor, a shopping mall, a privatized expressway or a Toys R Us parking lot, then only then will the globalization scheme have transformed Japan into a model for globalization.

CJ

CJ