House of Mirrors

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jul 31 08:27:50 PDT 2002

joanna bujes wrote:

>Global: House of Mirrors
>
>Stephen Roach (New York)
>
>Lest I be accused of piling on, read no further if you're looking for
>the next WorldCom. I don't have a clue. But I do know that Corporate
>America is not alone in cooking its books. Washington statisticians seem
>poised to join the restatement sweepstakes with a stunning rewrite of
>the recent performance of the US economy. So much for the boom!
>
>Each July, when many of us head to the beach, the guys with the green
>eyeshades are hard at work in Washington. They are compiling the
>so-called benchmark revision of the national economic statistics -- an
>annual restatement of recent economic history based largely on more
>complete (and presumably more accurate) samples of underlying activity.
>This particular benchmark revision is slated to be released on 31 July.
>Mark that day on your calendar.

Well the numbers are out, and the boom was less boomy than we thought. Some excerpts from the BEA release follow; the full product is at <http://www.bea.gov/bea/newsrel/gdpnewsrelease.htm>. The last couple of paragraphs deal with the arcane matter of the statistical discrepancy, which I normally wouldn't bring up, except that in this case it embarrasses Alan Greenspan. The full name of the GDP exercise is the national income and product accounts (NIPAs). There are two sets of estimates - one of product (expenditures on consumption, investment, etc.) and one of incomes (wages, profits, etc.). In theory, the two accounts are supposed to match; every dollar of income is earned in production. In practice, they don't quite match, and the difference is called the statistical discrepancy. The statistical discrepancy had been unusually large in the last few years, for reasons no one quite understood; income was running well ahead of product. The BEA says the product number is more reliable, and they feature it in their statistical releases (e.g., many people have heard of GDP [gross domestic product], but almost no one has heard of GDI [gross domestic income]). But New Economy optimists, chief among them Greenspan, focused on the income figure, saying that it might be the more reliable number. They were wrong. The income numbers have been revised down significantly, and the statistical discrepancy has returned to more normal levels. But since Greenspan is the greatest central banker of all time, this bit of irrational exuberance won't be held against him.

Doug

----