Does India need transgenic food

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Wed Jul 31 10:09:54 PDT 2002

ChrisD(RJ) wrote:
> Follow-up on my last post: Land in Moscow Region goes for about $200 for
> square meter. A 6 x 6 agricultural plot would be affordable by most people
> if they saved (in fact, most people already have one). Or you can buy a
> house in a village someplace for a few hundred bucks, tear it down and do
> whatever you want with it.

Is this a heritage of Khruschev era, urban households growing vegeables in the backyard? Russia has land in plenty, but how much is cultivable?

Russians have higher per capita income than Indians. They can afford $200 per sq. metre. An urban Indian is happy if he can afford 6 x 6 apartment to live in Metro towns !

Russia began to import large quantities of corn in the Brezhnev era to feed the livestock. Have they stopped all that?

Ulhas