Pat Buchanan, apologist for terror

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Sat Jun 1 07:09:16 PDT 2002

Hey C. G.

I don't want to marginalize Buchanan, I want to put him in context and argue that when Smith at the Progressive Review promotes Buchanan's anti-regime writings it is a big mistake. I don't like "comfortable orthodoxies" but I also don't like strategic (as opposed to short-term tactical) coalitions with fascist and right-wing populist critics of the regime. I see the same problem with Gore Vidal and Ralph Nader.

Do you see any problems here? Or do you support the idea that "The enemy of my enemy is my friend?"

-Chip