sketch of Hawes on Gould

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Sat Jun 1 09:32:41 PDT 2002

``...It seems utterly silly to me, anyhow, to call Einstein's 'overturning' of Newtonian gravity a paradigm shift -- that overturning occurred well within the house of physics. All of the "paradigm shifts" that make much sense are not shifts within a given physical or natural science but the "shift" constituted by the very origin of such science...'' Carrol Cox

-------

I am already late for work, so a little later won't be much worse. Regardless of whether you use paradigm shift as a characterization or not, I think E's re-construction of gravitation not as a isolatable force of matter, but as the fundamental geometry of space-time was profound. Not that my opinion means much, but I think it was actually a bigger deal than Newton's re-construction of gravity as an inverse square of distance law. Galileo already put together the acceleration part of the gravity law, but he didn't realize it varied with distance---he thought it was continuously increasing everywhere. Newton gave the variance with distance---that it actually drops off with increased distance. E turned the entire idea of force into a geometric feature of spacetime---that's big part of the big deal over E and general relativity.

Anyway, I think Hawkes is probably mostly right, that Gould probably did open the door to external (non-biological) causative factors, and this possibility does annoy biologists.

gotta go..

Chuck Grimes