Object Relations Theory

kelley at pulpculture.org kelley at pulpculture.org
Sat Jun 1 11:56:30 PDT 2002

>>This is very right, and straight out of Melanie Klein. You sound like you've
>>been listening to Ted Winslow, which is a good thing to do.
>>
>>Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema

well, i read and enjoy--indeed, very much admire--Ted Winslow. True. However, I also studied object relations theory as an undergrad. I went to a weird undergrad school and I happened to be raising a toddler at the time. Later, I studied some of Larry Hirschhorn's work on organizational sociology, which draws on this work. I recommend his _Workplace Within_. When I do any sort of organizational analysis now, for clients, his stuff is pretty useful. And, it's quite useful to my work actually building an organization now.

Speaking of all that, did you ever get a chance to take a look at Freud, Women, and Morality-- a book i recommended to you a year ago or so? In that book, Sagan makes the case that Freud's notes on morality and the ego ideal need to be reappropriated to better understand how the capacity for a moral consciousness emerges. Sagan thinks Freud's sexism led him to focus on the Superego.

kelley