sketch of Hawes on Gould

kelley at pulpculture.org kelley at pulpculture.org
Sat Jun 1 21:47:34 PDT 2002

At 11:21 PM 6/1/02 -0500, Carrol Cox wrote:
>That's still my opinion of Hawkes on Gould. I rather trust the
>judgment of Levins -- and was prepared to reconsider my doubts if there
>had been a different response on the Science for the People List to my
>query.

levins may be right about hawkes. i think he is in so far as kuhn's point is that whether a paradigm change is accepted is detemined not by the "new" theory, but by politics. gould's theory doesn't determine in any special way whether it initiated a paradaigm shift. it might intitiate a crisis, but whether it becomes a paradigm shift has yet to be determined.

in any case, you are STILL wrong as to your interpreatation of kuhn's use of the term paradigm and you should apologize to Hawkes for your criticism, since your criticism is based on ignorance.

kelley