ISO and cynical tactics (Re: Question for Liza about Palestinian Solidarity Activism at OSU

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Sun Jun 2 08:54:36 PDT 2002

>The ISO has
>hidden motives and often cynical tactics that makes others
>distrust them. A lot of them are good activists and are working for good
>social change, but the overall organization is incredibly cynical in these
>ways and leaves lot of disillusioned ex-members in its wake. When I was
>active in the CoC, we used to joke that the best recruitment position is the
>back door of the ISO to receive all the rapid turnover of ex-members.
>
>-- Nathan Newman

Speaking as an ex-member, I have to agree. They seemed to want a very, very devoted core group and so were pretty dismissive of half-assed members. They didn't seem to have much interest in connecting with the larger community and it showed. And some of the more robotic members could really get on even the most tolerating and forgiving person's nerves. It was sort of sad to see genuinely curious, motivated, decent young people join, work at it for awhile and then become disillusioned and frustrated and drop out.

Peter