Fwd: BOUNCE lbo-talk at lists.panix.com: Non-member submission from [Bradford DeLong <jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu>]

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jun 2 10:15:35 PDT 2002

Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 08:34:04 -0700 To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com From: Bradford DeLong <jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu> Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Query on Book Review] Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" ; format="flowed"

>Chuck Grimes wrote:
>
>>I'd like to read Hawkes' review since the link to The Nation produces
>>the usual, `subscribe' blah, blah, print only.... How about posting
>>the review first.
>
>How do you expect publications to survive if they just give it all
>away on the web?
>
>Doug

By passing from the realm of necessity to the realm of freedom? By transcending the bourgeois logic of the market? By satisfying the first-order conditions for social welfare maximization?

Realistically, how much net revenue would the _Nation_ lose if it made itself world-accessible? How many Sugar Mommies (or Daddies) would be required to make up the difference? Couldn't a far-sighted publisher talk to the AFL-CIO and a number of potential other sponsors interested in increasing the _Nation's_ footprint in the discourse of the information age?

Brad DeLong, who is personally offended by the fact that he *is* a subscriber and still can't access the _Nation_ on the web...