Star Spangled Banner

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 2 20:14:55 PDT 2002

>At 11:32 AM 06/02/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>>Well, I don't go in for that stuff either, but after all, Jimi Henmdrix
>>played the Star Spangled Banner. It's not just an ironic deconstruction.
>>It's also a tribute to possibility.
>
>He sure did, but what makes you think that the "possibility" it pays
>tribute to is specifically American?
>
>Joanna

Cause he was playing the Star Spangled Banner. When Shelley riffed on God Save the Queen, he had English possibilities in mind. Same with Blake: We will build Jerusalem in England's green and pleasnt land. He wasn't talking about Sri Lanki, not that he had anything against Sri Lanki, I'm sure, knowing Blake. jks