Recommended

reed tryte dttdhmtp at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 3 05:48:29 PDT 2002

<sawicky at bellatlantic.net> wrote:

>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/
>A36736-2002May30.html

This really is a surprisingly good review -- not just because of its perspective, but because the reviewer expresses his perspective so well. Progressive politics could use many more people like this.

To connect this to another recently discussed topic, I would say this is a great example of how to communicate with people who don't know much about US foreign policy. It doesn't begin by condemning Amerikkka. Instead it (1) provides information without making it seem as though people are idiots if they don't already know this; (2) creates an analogy that allows people to see things from a fresh perspective; and (3) wraps it up with an appeal to both morality and self-interest.

As you can tell, I am completely with Justin on this topic. You don't go into an Orthodox neighborhood eating a ham sandwich, and you don't try to communicate with most Americans by comparing the US to Nazi Germany. Those comparisons can come later, when they know more :)

Does anyone know anything about Paul William Roberts? Has anyone read his Iraq book "The Demonic Comedy"? I think I'll have to go to the library.