Recommended

reed tryte dttdhmtp at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 3 08:44:19 PDT 2002

Looking back over what I wrote about that book review, I believe I may have overstated its relevance as a model for All Left-Wing Communication.

Still, I think it's well worth looking at. I particularly think it's worth learning from his appeal to self interest at the end. When I discuss these things with relatives, etc., I usually try to emphasize how a change in US policy is actually in their interest, since it will reduce their chances of being killed. Because of the terrorist attacks, people are open to seeing this in a way that they might not have been before.

And once they see that, they usually come to care much more about the morality of US policy, because they see that its not a zero-sum game. Since Justin mentioned Saul Alinsky, I will quote Alinsky also: "This is the low road to morality. There is no other."