Another one bites the dust

Deborah Rogers dsrogers at justice.com
Mon Jun 3 18:28:04 PDT 2002

Dana Rice was someone I worked with regularly. I last saw him a week and a half ago before leaving on my vacation.

Dana was an excellent person to work for, and he will be missed. Suffice it to say, the timing of his death couldn't have been worse for El Paso, and comparisons to Cliff Baxter's suicide have swirled all day, especially after last week's announcements over diminished profits and the slash and burn of the trading section. However, Rice really was facing some horrible health issues, and rumors to the contrary, I have no doubt he chose to check out on his terms, probably blinded by depression, as well.

There are a lot of problems that need to be uncovered, sorted out and remedied in the energy industry, the "bidness", without a doubt. There are no innocent parties, only degrees of complicity. But sadly, the collateral damage from this current environment will unnecessarily cloud an already tragic death.

http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/3391622.htm