Finding the Strength to Love and Dream By ROBIN D.G. KELLEY

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Mon Jun 3 20:08:50 PDT 2002

On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Michael Pugliese crossposted:

> Finding the Strength to Love and Dream
> By ROBIN D.G. KELLEY
> Contrary to popular belief, Surrealism is not an aesthetic doctrine
> but an international revolutionary movement concerned with the
> emancipation of thought

Surrealism lived -- and died -- in the 1920s. It produced some awesome works of art -- it was one of the first aesthetic forms to tap into the power of the monopoly-era consumer culture, to be sure -- but we live in the wide, wide world of multinational aesthetics nowadays. Don't people read Benjamin anymore?

> The question remains: What are today's young activists dreaming
> about? We know what they are fighting against, but what are they
> fighting for?

The children of the Euro? All trying to kick Metal Gear Ray butt on "Extreme" level. A task beyond my feeble powers, by the way (too busy heisting vans on Grand Theft Auto 3, a deliriously funny and slyly subversive masterpiece).

-- Dennis