Hinomaru/Kimigayo, La Marseillaise, Etc. Re: Patriotism

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 3 20:41:58 PDT 2002

>Justin Schwartz wrote:
> >
> > As I say, I'm a poor leftist. But you knew
> > that.
> >

>It's not that. You're just an absurdly optimistic leftist. ;-0

Doesn't one have to be absurdly optimistic to be a leftist?

>If I thought there was 1 in a million chance of blunting u.s.
>imperialism even a little bit within the bounds established by the
>Constitution, I might just sort of stand up for that horrid song too.
>
>Carrol

Well, it's not a great song. I prefer This Land is Your Land or America the Beautiful. (Can't bear God Bless AMerica, which provoked Woody Guthrie into writing This Land is Your Land.)

As for the one in a million chance, it's the only chance we have. And the Constitution has a great deal worth preserving: the Bill of Rights, the 14th Amendment, just for starting. I could do without the electoral college and the entrenched two Senators clause, though.

jks

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx