Why not emigrate?

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Mon Jun 3 21:07:09 PDT 2002

Justin, patriotism becomes effective only with respect to the "other." The "other" may be someone from outside die vaterland or someone in it who does not go along. It does seem to be implicitly a matter of affection -- one American life is supposedly worth x times the life of a non-American. In short, I think that exclusion is a core element of patriotism.