Blake, "America, A Prophecy" Re:Star Spangled Banner

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 4 08:18:46 PDT 2002

OK, Yoshie, your point? Is it that I fail to recognize that Amerikkka is the fascist Beast, the Great Satan, utterly without redeeming value, which must be utterly overthrown and trampled in the dust? I can't asy anything right. I mention Brecht to shos his GERMAN patriotism, a harder case than American patriotism, I should think, you mention that he hated America. I mention Blake to show his English patriotosm--and England definitely was an Empire in his day!--and Joanna says that I am commmited to the My Nation ia Number One view that I exprelly disavow. I cite Blake to show that a patriot can admire other nations, and qualify it by saying that of course I know that America wasn't so great then. Yoshie then chimes in, Oh yes it was, it's NOW that it's wicked. (Although we have gotten ridden of slavery, gone a long way towards emancipatioon of women, Jesus, you make me sound like Nathan.

I give up. I will start all my public speeches from now by burning the flag and saying, I hate the fascist pig Amerikkka. That should solidify my left credentials.

jks