headlines we never thought we'd see

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 4 08:39:16 PDT 2002

>Ian Murray wrote:
>
>>Rohatyn waxed nostalgiac for the Protestant Ethic
>>yesterday...
>
>Where? What crypt did they unseal to let out Felix the Fixer?
>
>Doug

Gretchen Morgenson popped the lid on FF's box in a NY Times piece, "What If Investors Won't Join the Party?" No one does gravitas like Felix, viz.:

"Felix G. Rohatyn, the financier and former American ambassador to France, says investors' belief in the integrity of the financial markets has been severely damaged in the last year.

"'Our system of market capitalism requires a high level of Protestant ethic,' he said. 'You need a regulatory system on one hand and a very strong ethic on the other, and within those guideposts you can let the market hopefully promote growth and wealth creation. But if either the regulatory or ethical base begins to erode, then you've got some real problems. And I think that is where we are right now.'"

[http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/02/business/yourmoney/02CONF.html]

Carl