What is Antisemitism?(Part 2)

pradeep ppillai at sprint.ca
Wed Jun 5 00:16:31 PDT 2002

What is Antisemitism? (contd)

By Michael Neumann

So far, I've suggested that it's best to narrow the definition of

antisemitism so that no act can be both antisemitic and

unobjectionable. But we can go further. Now that we're

through playing games, let's ask about the role of *genuine*,

bad antisemitism in the Israel-Palestine conflict, and in the

world at large.

Undoubtedly there is genuine antisemitism in the Arab world:

the distribution of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, the

myths about stealing the blood of gentile babies. This is

utterly inexcusable. So was your failure to answer Aunt Bee's

last letter. In other words, it is one thing to be told: you

must simply accept that antisemitism is evil; to do otherwise

is to put yourself outside our moral world. But it is quite

something else to have someone try to bully you into

proclaiming that antisemitism is the Evil of Evils. We are not

children learning morality; it is our responsibility to set our

own moral priorities. We cannot do this by looking at horrible

images from 1945 or listening to the anguished cries of

suffering columnists. We have to ask how much harm

antisemitism is doing, or is likely to do, not in the past, but

today. And we must ask where such harm might occur, and

why.

Supposedly there is great danger in the antisemitism of the

Arab world. But Arab antisemitism isn't the cause of Arab

hostility towards Israel or even towards Jews. It is an effect.

The progress of Arab antisemitism fits nicely with the

progress of Jewish encroachment and Jewish atrocities. This

is not to excuse genuine antisemitism; it is to trivialize it. It

came to the Middle East with Zionism and it will abate when

Zionism ceases to be an expansionist threat. Indeed its chief

cause is not antisemitic propaganda but the decades-old,

systematic and unrelenting efforts of Israel to implicate all

Jews in its crimes. If Arab anti-semitism persists after a

peace agreement, we can all get together and cluck about it.

But it still won't do Jews much actual harm. Arab

governments could only lose by permitting attacks on their

Jewish citizens; to do so would invite Israeli intervention.

And there is little reason to expect such attacks to

materialize: if all the horrors of Israel's recent campaigns did

not provoke them, it is hard to imagine what would. It would

probably take some Israeli act so awful and so criminal as to

overshadow the attacks themselves.

If antisemitism is likely to have terrible effects, it is far more

likely to have them in Western Europe. The neo-fascist

resurgence there is all too real. But is it a danger to Jews?

There is no doubt that LePen, for instance, is antisemitic.

There is also no evidence whatever that he intends to do

anything about it. On the contrary, he makes every effort to

pacify the Jews, and perhaps even enlist their help against

his real targets, the 'Arabs'. He would hardly be the first

political figure to ally himself with people he disliked. But if

he had some deeply hidden plan against the Jews, that

*would* be unusual: Hitler and the Russian antisemitic

rioters were wonderfully open about their intentions, and

they didn't court Jewish support. And it is a fact that some

French Jews see LePen as a positive development or even an

ally. (see, for instance, "`LePen is good for us,' Jewish

supporter says", Ha'aretz May 04, 2002, and Mr.

Goldenburg's April 23rd comments on France TV.)

Of course there are historical reasons for fearing a

horrendous attack on Jews. And anything is possible: there

could be a massacre of Jews in Paris tomorrow, or of

Algerians. Which is more likely? If there are any lessons of

history, they must apply in roughly similar circumstances.

Europe today bears very little resemblance to Europe in

1933. And there are positive possibilities as well: why is the

likelihood of a pogrom greater than the likelihood that

antisemitism will fade into ineffectual nastiness? Any

legitimate worries must rest on some evidence that there

really is a threat.

The incidence of antisemitic attacks might provide such

evidence. But this evidence is consistently fudged: no

distinction is made between attacks against Jewish

monuments and symbols as opposed to actual attacks against

Jews. In addition, so much is made of an increase in the

frequency of attacks that the very low absolute level of

attacks escapes attention. The symbolic attacks have indeed

increased to significant absolute numbers. The physical

attacks have not.(*) More important, most of these attacks

are by Muslim residents: in other words, they come from a

widely hated, vigorously policed and persecuted minority who

don't stand the slightest chance of undertaking a serious

campaign of violence against Jews.

It is very unpleasant that roughly half a dozen Jews have

been hospitalized--none killed--due to recent attacks across

Europe. But anyone who makes this into one of the world's

important problems simply hasn't looked at the world. These

attacks are a matter for the police, not a reason why we

should police ourselves and others to counter some deadly

spiritual disease. That sort of reaction is appropriate only

when racist attacks occur in societies indifferent or hostile to

the minority attacked. Those who really care about recurrent

Nazism, for instance, should save their anguished concern for

the far bloodier, far more widely condoned attacks on

gypsies, whose history of persecution is fully comparable to

the Jewish past. The position of Jews is much closer to the

position of whites, who are also, of course, the victims of

racist attacks.

No doubt many people reject this sort of cold-blooded

calculation. They will say that, with the past looming over us,

even one antisemitic slur is a terrible thing, and its ugliness

is not to be measured by a body count. But if we take a

broader view of the matter, antisemitism becomes less, not

more important. To regard any shedding of Jewish blood as a

world-shattering calamity, one which defies all measurement

and comparison, is racism, pure and simple; the valuing of

one race's blood over all others. The fact that Jews have been

persecuted for centuries and suffered terribly half a century

ago doesn't wipe out the fact that in Europe today, Jews are

insiders with far less to suffer and fear than many other

ethnic groups. Certainly racist attacks against a well-off

minority are just as evil as racist attacks against a poor and

powerless minority. But equally evil attackers do not make

for equally worrisome attacks.

It is not Jews who live most in the shadow of the

concentration camp. LePen's 'transit camps' are for 'Arabs',

not Jews. And though there are politically significant parties

containing many antisemites, not one of these parties shows

any sign of articulating, much less implementing, an

antisemitic agenda. Nor is there any particular reason to

suppose that, once in power, they will change their tune.

Haider's Austria is not considered dangerous for Jews;

neither was Tudjman's Croatia. And were there to be such

danger, well, a nuclear-armed Jewish state stands ready to

welcome any refugees, as do the US and Canada. And to say

there are no real dangers now is not to say that we should

ignore any dangers that may arise. If in France, for instance,

the Front National starts advocating transit camps for Jews,

or institutes anti-Jewish immigration policies, then we should

be alarmed. But we should not be alarmed that something

alarming might just conceivably happen: there are far more

alarming things going on than that!

One might reply that, if things are not more alarming, it is

only because the Jews and others have been so vigilant in

combatting antisemitism. But this isn't plausible. For one

thing, vigilance about antisemitism is a kind of tunnel vision:

as neofascists are learning, they can escape notice by

keeping quiet about Jews. For another, there has been no

great danger to Jews even in traditionally antisemitic

countries where the world is *not* vigilant, like Croatia or

the Ukraine. Countries that get very little attention seem no

more dangerous than countries that get a lot. As for the

vigorous reaction to LePen in France, that seems to have a

lot more to do with French revulsion at neofascism than with

the scoldings of the Anti-Defamation League. To suppose that

the Jewish organizations and earnest columnists who pounce

on antisemitism are saving the world from disaster is like

claiming that Bertrand Russell and the Quakers were all that

saved us from nuclear war.

Now one might say: whatever the real dangers, these events

are truly agonizing for Jews, and bring back unbearably

painful memories. That may be true for the very few who still

have those memories; it is not true for Jews in general. I am

a German Jew, and have a good claim to second-generation,

third-hand victimhood. Antisemitic incidents and a climate of

rising antisemitism don't really bother me a hell of a lot. I'm

much more scared of really dangerous situations, like

driving. Besides, even painful memories and anxieties do not

carry much weight against the actual physical suffering

inflicted by discrimination against many non-Jews.

This is not to belittle all antisemitism, everywhere. One often

hears of vicious antisemites in Poland and Russia, both on

the streets and in government. But alarming as this may be,

it is also immune to the influence of Israel-Palestine conflicts,

and those conflicts are wildly unlikely to affect it one way or

another. Moreover, so far as I know, nowhere is there as

much violence against Jews as there is against 'Arabs'. So

even if antisemitism is, somewhere, a catastrophically

serious matter, we can only conclude that anti-Arab

sentiment is far more serious still. And since every

antisemitic group is to a far greater extent anti-immigrant

and anti-Arab, these groups can be fought, not in the name

of antisemitism, but in the defense of Arabs and immigrants.

So the antisemitic threat posed by these groups shouldn't

even make us want to focus on antisemitism: they are just as

well fought in the name of justice for Arabs and immigrants.

In short, the real scandal today is not antisemitism but the

importance it is given. Israel has committed war crimes. It

has implicated Jews generally in these crimes, and Jews

generally have hastened to implicate themselves. This has

provoked hatred against Jews. Why not? Some of this hatred

is racist, some isn't, but who cares? Why should we pay any

attention to this issue at all? Is the fact that Israel's race war

has provoked bitter anger of any importance besides the war

itself? Is the remote possibility that somewhere, sometime,

somehow, this hatred may in theory, possibly kill some Jews

of any importance besides the brutal, actual, physical

persecution of Palestinians, and the hundreds of thousands of

votes for Arabs to be herded into transit camps? Oh, but I

forgot. Drop everything. Someone spray-painted antisemitic

slogans on a synagogue.

* Not even the ADL and B'nai B'rith include attacks on Israel

in the tally; they speak of "The insidious way we have seen

the conflict between Israelis and Palestinians used by

anti-Semites". And like many other people, I don't count

terrorist attacks by such as Al Quaeda as instances of

antisemitism but rather of some misdirected quasi-military

campaign against the US and Israel. Even if you count them

in, it does not seem very dangerous to be a Jew outside

Israel.

Michael Neumann is a professor of philosophy at Trent

University in Ontario, Canada. He can be reached at:

mneumann at trentu.ca