Singer's views

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Wed Jun 5 14:37:50 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "joanna bujes" <joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 11:02 AM Subject: Re: Singer's views

> Singer's calculus of "happiness" is that of a moron. There is no relation
> between being a perfect object and happinesss.

There are certainly a great number of maladies that can detract from human happiness. We've all endured our share, I'm sure. However, this doesn't even begin to touch upon Singer's strongest conclusion: entities with no conception of self aren't persons. To claim otherwise, one must make arguments that suspiciously mirror the ones made by those who protest the destruction of innocent embryos.

-- Luke