Male-female wage gap, managers

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Jun 5 14:52:51 PDT 2002

At 05:27 PM 6/5/2002 -0400, Doug wrote:

>Right. Women choose to have babies, and men choose to let them take care
>of them. Is it too identarian to wonder about this notion of "choice"?

This is one of the possible reasons of the wage gap I cited. Its purpose was to demonstrate that wage gap does not have to be a result of discrimination by employer. It can result from a wide of factors, such as societal expectations and gender roles which shape individual job choices (cf. Reskin & Roos, _Job cues, Gender cues_). The point is to account for that complexity instead of using out-of-context information to promote an intellectual commodity or an ideology. The "human capital" approach is ideology-driven crap, but so is much of the "discrimination" claims.

wojtek