Why not emigrate?

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Wed Jun 5 16:48:18 PDT 2002

On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, joanna bujes wrote:

> It's funny, I liked "The God of Small Things," but I like her political
> writing about ten times more.

Ah, Roy is something, isn't she? Just a bundle of contradictions. I have the opposite reaction, i.e. after the blowtorch of GST, everything else is sort of this reflexive, posthumous dissection, as if Sartre and Genet were the same person, and the radical theater had become philosophical discourse.

I could be wrong, but I suspect GST is intensely autobiographical -- every line probes a post-colonial wound. It's the kind of text which either kills or cures its author, the Indian version of Sadawi's brilliant Woman at Point Zero or Can Xue's dazzling Yellow Mud Street; the inflection point of a whole culture, the moment when the Congress Party and neo-nationalism stopped being a viable utopian project, and a multinational resistance was born.

But here I am, yapping about postcolonialism, when I haven't even finished this Max Payne text. It'll be done soon, I promise.

-- Dennis