Singer's views

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 5 17:50:13 PDT 2002

That doesn't depend on denying that newborns
> > aren't persons because they lack a conception of--the future, isn't it,
>in
> > Singer?
>
>You can make the distinction between perceiving oneself as an individual
>persisting over time and a conception of self if you wish, but I don't
>think
>it's germane. A conception of time and a conception of self seem to be
>inexorably interdependent.
>
>-- Luke
>
> > not the self.

Maybe you are right, but I recall that Singer framed his criteriua of personhood as a matter of being able to take an interest in your future interests.

Btw, Marta, the argumentum ad ignoramus is no good, How does Singer know that newborns can't do this? How do we know that most animals don't? You watch their behavior. Do they make plans and act on them? Show resentment or pride at accomplishments? The evidence is thes ame for newborns and cats. Actually adult cats are probably more able to take an interest in theit future interests than newborns, so far as we can tell.

jks