Male-female wage gap, managers

kelley star.matrix at verizon.net
Wed Jun 5 18:00:27 PDT 2002

At 05:31 PM 6/5/02 -0400, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>Fourth, these figures do not account for work experience and
>qualifications (we need longitudinal data for that). If women work
>experience is, say, shorter than that of men - that will almost certainly
>be reflected in wages, because seniority is one of the key factors
>affecting promotions and wages. That does not necessarily indicate
>discrimination, especially by employers. It could be societal gender
>roles and expectations, or simply the career vs. family choice.
>
>wojtek

if you take a look at fuller reports, such as the glass ceiling report housed at Cornell that Diane mentioned, this simply isn't true. even Businessweek reports that among women and men managers in same industries, women earn less than men even when they have the same levels of education, experience, job commitment, etc.

kelley, who notes that your critique of identity politics is interesting but that all you've proved is you don't like those political positions and practices, not that they have anything to do with identity politics