Singer protest

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 5 18:48:54 PDT 2002

>Brad DeLong wrote:
> >
> > Is Singer self-aware when he is asleep? Is it legitimate by his
> > lights to kill him then?
>
>No doubt at all that I'm self-aware when I'm asleep, more so in fact
>than when awake.
>
>Yours WDK - WKiernan at concentric.net

The abilities to be self-aware or to take an interest in your future interests are standing, not merely occurrent dispositions. I am able to bench press 150 pounds even though I am not exercising that capability now. It's not like thinking of Paris, which is an occurrent disposition; I am have it now, but didn't have it a minute ago. So, no, Singer's argument is not that dumb.

jks