fast/slow thinkers

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jun 5 19:26:21 PDT 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:

> jean-christophe helary wrote:
>
> >would tv work for chomsky eventually ?
>
> It'd be hard. Either TV would have to change or he would. His style
> is too cool and unmodulated for TV - most people would flip the
> channel. How could he compete with Behind the Music?

This puzzles me in the light of the other thread on TV. Justin doesn't watch TV at all. I watch it in fits & starts (never a complete show or movie) when one of the features of my depression (inability to read) hits. And all three of us have an equal basis for making the judgment that "most people would flip the channel." That is not the sort of thing that watching tv 70 hours a week would enable you to make, or that never watching tv would prevent you from making.

Carrol