Male-female wage gap, managers

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jun 5 20:00:18 PDT 2002

Ian Murray wrote:

> > > They should do a study of salaries between Alpha Male and Beta Male.

> They're the jerks in love with keeping salary info secret.....
>
> Ian

That evokes a very faint memory. I read someplace 50 years or so ago that some years before (I think in the early '30s) a professor at the University of Chicago had gotten up at a Faculty Senate meeting and argued for open salary information -- and started the ball rolling by revealing his own. I don't believe the ball rolled any further.

One somewhat more recent. In Illinois all salaries of public employees are public information, and you need merely get hold of the proper budget and can read them off. Back in 1963 or 1964 a young professor in the Social Science Dept. (at that time at ISU soc., econ, poli sci, & history were all in one department)informed his students of this and told them what to ask for in the main reference desk at the library to get the information.

The Department Chairman (who later was the first Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences when that college was created a few years later) blew his top. He was enraged that students should be given such information.

Salaries, private economic facts in general, are treated today about the way fellatio would have been discussed in a young ladies finishing school in 1875.

Carrol