The Icarian Fall -- Further Remarks

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jun 5 21:08:13 PDT 2002

Try browing in this.

Carlo Parcelli

IS EVERYDAY LANGUAGE SUFFICIENT TO EMBODY EVERYDAY EXPERIENCE?

FlashPoint Online has been existence now for about 3 years. The number of "hits" on the front page at this writing is 15,255. I am told that we are getting about 10 times as many hits on individual pieces for a total in the neighborhood of 150,000. During this time, I have received perhaps 60 responses to my incendiary articles on the state of poetry today. About two thirds are in favor of an overhaul of poetry in the vein I suggest and the other third sees my attacks as unreasonable, even irrational.

Also appearing on FlashPoint are two long series of excerpts from my Deconstructing the Demiurge series as well as what I call my "doggerel," a mock epic very loosely based on Dante's Divine Comedy. I wrote these sections (and a few thousand more lines like them) during an extended period where personal responsibilities did not allow me to do, what I consider, serious work. But of all the poetry I have offered the 'doggerel' garnered the most response. And all of it was favorable and wildly so!

For the rest:

http://www.flashpointmag.com/everyday.htm