Singer protest

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Thu Jun 6 09:45:13 PDT 2002

>It seems to me though that one does require some sort of criteria for
>personhood, more or less along the lines that Singer is suggesting,
>if one is going to argue for the moral acceptability of abortion.
>Otherwise,
>it becomes very easy to argue that fetuses are persons too, and so
>entitled to the same sort of right to life that we ascribe to young
>infants.
>Again, how can the DREDF avoid taking an anti-abortion stance for
>consistency's sake, given their stance on personhood?
>
>Jim F.

Sorry for the delay in responding -- I went to hear Joel Kovel speak at the Midnight Special bookstore. The room was packed and he was wonderful. It was good to make contact in person.

I don't really know how they (DREDF lawyers) would answer your question. But one distinction is that the fetus is in the body of the mother, it is not independent of her physical body.

Seems we went through all this in earlier discussions, though not specific to DREDF. You can contact Marilyn Golden if you like -- the statement originated from her.

mgolden at dredf.org

best, Marta -- Marta Russell Los Angeles, CA http://www.disweb.org