Singer's views

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Thu Jun 6 10:12:05 PDT 2002

On Thursday, June 6, 2002, at 03:01 PM, Luke Weiger wrote:

> [...]

quite to the point, thanks. also . . .

>> So all these various "scientific" statements are really guesses, it
>> is not known for certain.

um, no. even to the extent that these measure are imprecise and there's no way to say, "at day 552+2hours+31minutes+05seconds, human children attain self-awareness," it's nevertheless nothing like me guessing off the top of my head how many jelly beans could fit in the space occupied by the atlantic ocean. it's seems to me that reducing such things to "guesswork" (when they aren't) is irresponsible in the extreme, and precisely the sort of thing that modernists always accuse postmodernists of doing.

>> Can you imagine if society were to allow parents to kill their babies
>> based on this? It would be absolute chaos.

no, it would not. why do you think it would be?