Johannesburg and the future of [some] science....

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Thu Jun 6 22:03:56 PDT 2002

[this would seem to be well worth forwarding to the 'Science For the People collective]

SciDev.Net is pleased to announce a new section of its website which contains news and opinion articles, as well as a discussion forum, on the topic of 'Science & Sustainability'.

This section is intended to provide information about, and stimulate debate on, the way that science and technology are being addressed during preparations for the World Summit on Sustainable Development in Johannesburg later this year. It can be accessed directly at: www.scidev.net/sustain.

The site includes:

* Frequently updated news of science- and technology-related initiatives linked to the Johannesburg summit; * Opinion articles by key stakeholders engaged in different aspects of the topic; * A discussion forum to which users of the website can submit their views on a range of relevant issues; * Annotated links to key background documents, speeches, meetings and websites related to the theme of 'science and sustainability'.

We are particularly keen to encourage contributions to the discussion forum (www.scidevforum.net). We believe that this provides a unique opportunity for individuals not directly involved with the WSSD preparations to express their views in a way that, we anticipate, will be noticed by those who are.

SciDev.Net (www.scidev.net) was launched in December last year, and covers the role of science and technology in meeting the needs of developing countries. It is a charity funded by British, Canadian and Swedish development agencies, and has the support of the journals Nature and Science, and the Third World Academy of Sciences. To receive weekly updates of additions to the website, register at www.scidev.net/whyregister.html.