meta-Onion

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Fri Jun 7 08:06:49 PDT 2002

Posted on Fri, Jun. 07, 2002

News spoof ends up in Beijing paper REPORTER FAILS TO GET THE JOKE, PUBLISHES SATIRE ABOUT U.S. LAWMAKERS CLAMORING FOR A NEW CAPITOL By Henry Chu Los Angeles Times

BEIJING - An embarrassing gaffe by China's usually staid state-run media has left a popular newspaper here with onion on its face.

Readers of the Beijing Evening News, the capital's largest-circulation newspaper, learned this week that the U.S. Congress had threatened to move out of Washington unless a fancy new Capitol was built.

``If we want to stay competitive, we need to upgrade,'' House Minority Leader Richard A. Gephardt, D-Mo., was quoted as saying. ``Look at the British Parliament. Look at the Vatican. . . . Without modern facilities, they've been having big problems attracting top talent.''

If a new building with more bathrooms and better parking was not erected, the article said, then U.S. lawmakers were prepared to pack up and move to Memphis or Charlotte, N.C.

The story seems newsworthy enough. Trouble is, it was lifted straight from the Onion, the satirical ``news'' publication based in New York that has caused countless American readers to double over with laughter at its weekly spoofs on current events.

Its story on the Capitol appeared in its May 29 edition, alongside such headlines as ``Sexual Tension Between Arafat, Sharon Reaches Breaking Point'' and ``Man Blames Hangover on Everything But How Much He Drank.''

A writer for the Beijing Evening News apparently picked up the item from the Internet, reworked the opening paragraphs and submitted it to his editors, who then published it as a straight news story, without citing a source.

Nobody, perhaps not even the reporter, appeared to realize it was a joke.

Yu Bin, the editor in charge of international news, acknowledged Thursday that he had no idea where the writer, Huang Ke, originally got the story. Yu said he would tell Huang to ``be more careful next time.''

But he adamantly ruled out a correction and grew contrary when pressed to comment on the article's total lack of truth.

``How do you know whether or not we checked the source before we published the story?'' Yu demanded in a phone interview. ``How can you prove it's not correct? Is it incorrect just because you say it is?''

For the record, then, an aide to Gephardt said the congressman never made the remarks attributed to him.

And John Feehery, the media officer for House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., said his boss never called the Capitol a ``drafty old building . . . no longer suitable for a world-class legislative branch,'' as the Onion and the Beijing Evening News reported.

``He likes the Capitol just fine,'' Feehery said.

The Onion parody featured an architect's rendering of a proposed futuristic Capitol complete with a retractable dome, a ``Dancing Waters fountain'' and ``55 more luxury boxes than the current building.'' The Evening News reproduced the entire illustration without crediting the Onion. There wasn't even a caption explaining what the drawing was.

Robert Siegel, editor in chief of the Onion, which prides itself as ``America's finest news source,'' said he was amazed at the Evening News' gullibility.

``Wow, even journalists now believe everything they read,'' Siegel said from his home in New York. ``If I were a reporter in Beijing and found an item like that . . . I might want to follow up and check my sources. Readers fall for that kind of thing all the time, and maybe I was naive, but I thought reporters would be smarter.''

Huang, the author of the Beijing Evening News article on the unloved U.S. Capitol, couldn't be reached for comment Thursday.

He or she -- the name is androgynous and very likely a pseudonym -- does not appear to be one of the paper's longtime contributors. An electronic archive search on the paper's Web site yielded Huang's byline on only two stories in the past two years.

Both appeared in Monday's edition. One was the Onion rip-off. The other, on the same page, was a longer investigative piece about the lack of security screening for most private charter flights in the United States.

But a little checking showed that this story, too, was cribbed: It was a direct translation of a front-page article from Sunday's Washington Post.