mass transit (sic)

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Fri Jun 7 11:22:45 PDT 2002

Because of the externalities there is no reason why a transit system needs to be self-financing. In fact, from an efficiency standpoint it *should* run at a deficit and scale up to the point where marginal benefits (private and social) = marginal costs (ditto). The more net external benefit, the larger the correct "under pricing" at the margin and the larger the implied operating deficit. Basic micro, folks.

mbs