is the `New Economy' a fad?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jun 8 10:18:02 PDT 2002

Chuck Grimes wrote:

>Okay, let's be even more literal. What is in that other 99.9999...%?
>
>Consider the de-forested desert landscape where the rusted rail cars
>drop the strip mined coal (miners and rail workers early deaths and
>long term health costs) to burn (to warm up the planet) to help run
>the steam plant that runs the electric generator, and then consider
>sometime later a nuclear reacter was build to augment the aging fossil
>fuel burning power plant

So I guess artificial light was a mistake. How far back do we go? Oil lamps? All those poor whales. Candles? Human-centric appropriation of bee product.

When people say things like this - or "there are too many people in the world" or "cities are unsustainable" - I wish they would say what they propose to do about these presumably fundamental problems.

Doug