Summers dictates

Bradford DeLong jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu
Sat Jun 8 08:57:42 PDT 2002

>The KPRF, its rhetoric notwithstanding, is a completely corrupt body the
>oligarchs could have allied with just as easily as with the Yeltsinites...
>

>Chris Doss
>The Russia Journal

Even the most corrupt and mendacious and cynical of politicians remain--almost always--the heroes of their own story, and there remains a residual commitment to their ideology. I think the KPRF could have allied with the oligarchs in 1996, but only by telling themselves that it was a temporary, tactical alliance which they would break as soon as was practical. Were I an oligarch allied the KPRF at the start of 1997, I would be very, very nervous...

Brad DeLong