mass transit (sic)

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Sat Jun 8 12:20:26 PDT 2002

Your problem will be solved with technology, where it hasn't been already, as foretold 40 years ago by dec'd Nobelist Bill Vickrey.

Inconvenience aside, there is still a case for some charge to riders. If I take the subway and you stay home, I benefit a bit more and create a cost a bit more than you.

One could argue that the need to redensify cities is sufficiently compelling as to justify free public transit. There's more on this in the Persky/Wiewel chapter of my "End of Welfare?" book (M.E. Sharpe, 2000).

mbs

. . . Fare recovery is a lousy part of the transit world: I can't tell you how many green light cycles I've missed while waiting to board an SF Muni bus, or how many hundreds of hours I've spent waiting to pay my $2 at the Bay Bridge.

/jordan